Freeplay Companion (Radio / Flashlight / Cellphone Charger)
The versatile Freeplay Energy Companion
is a radio, a flashlight, and a cellphone charger, all ina unit that's only 125 mm long (4.9") and 200 g (7 oz). It has a solarpanel and a crank so you'll never run out of power, and you'll neverhave to buy disposable batteries
The Freeplay Companion Radio
promises assured listening, anytime,anywhere. This compact, robust radio boasts a rubberized body withrecessed control knobs for impact resistance and comfort. Big onfunctionality, but small in size, the Companion is a radio, aflashlight and a cellphone charger that fits easily into your bag, yourglove box or your drawer – ready when you need it, where you need it. The AM/FM radio
has an headphone jack for personal listening. Theflashlight has 3 LEDs with optics optimized for a focused light. Theintegrated cell phone charger means that you’ll never be out of touchbecause of dead batteries.
Offering a choice of self-charge,solar and external recharge power options, the Companion deliverscomplete independence from wall power or disposable batteries whileensuring sustainable access to information and entertainment. Freeplay’s patented self-charge technology means excellentreliability. A 1-minute wind gives you 20 minutes of radio listeningat normal volume, or 30 minutes of light, and you can wind some more atany time for as much play time / shine time as you want. An LED chargelevel indicator tells you the best speed to wind.
In directsunlight the Companion will charge itself and play continuously. Theinternal NiMH battery can be fully charged from either the solar panelor an external charging adapter (any standard mini-USB AC charger willdo), to give 12 hours of play time (depending on volume), or 16 hoursof shine time.
Designed as a companion for those who appreciatethe security of a failsafe radio and who value independence fromconventional power sources, the Freeplay Companion is fun and convenient,anytime, anywhere.
- Green energy – a sustainable product that’s built to last.
- TheCompanion offers a real alternative to grid electricity or fossil fuels– never worry about buying, carrying or disposing of batteries again.
- Whenthe battery runs down and you need to wind for power, the Freeplayself-charge mechanism converts your kinetic energy into storedelectricity.
- Wind even when the radio’s playing or theflashlight’s shining to top up the battery at any time – never be leftin the dark, miss the end of that song, the end of the game or thatlast item in the news report.
- Wind to put power into your cellphone even while your call is still in progress – never drop that call.
- The plastic molding and rubberized grip makes it easy to carry and use when the weather is cold.
- Compact,rugged and weatherproof, the Companion is perfect around the barbecue,inside your home, out camping or as a vital source of informationduring storms or blackouts.
Video: Shiny Media profiles the Freeplay Companion at CES
Check out the Freeplay Companion on Inhabitat.com
|Power Source – Self-Charge
Direct drive spur gear transmission driving a high power 3-phase alternator with high efficiency 3 phase rectification.
Transmission and Winder
- 6 pole pair of Zinc coated sintered Neodymium Iron Boron permanent magnets (N35H Grade).
- 3-phase winding.
- Skewed stator tooth faces to reduce cogging torque while retaining high efficiency.
- Stator laminations 0.5mm laminating steel to specification VM 350-50, double side insulated to Stabolit 20.
- Permanently lubricated sintered Oilite bush for long life.
- Stainless steel base plate for non-magnetism, corrosion resistance, and strength.
- Spur gears are manufactured in dissimilar engineering polymers – glass filled PA6 (nylon) and POM (acetyl) for optimum gear tooth interface, low noise signature and extended life.
- Stainless steel shafts for extended life.
- Large winder knob for easy grip.
- Winder hub and bush are nylon and acetyl respectively for long life.
- Winder handle is high strength glass filled nylon.
|Power Source – Solar Panel
5.5V, 30mA polycrystalline solar panel with epoxy encapsulation under a polycarbonate lens.Power Source – External Charge
Mini-USB charging socket (5V, 100mA, 5 pin).
Charge rate: 10 hours – 100% capacity.
High conversion efficiency rechargeable NiMH 2/3 AAA cell 3.6V pack, 350 mAh capacity.Play Time
Fully charged battery: 12 hours (at normal volume).
60-second wind: 20 minutes (at normal volume).
1 hour solar exposure: 1 hour (at normal volume, radio off while charging).
Play time will vary depending on the volume setting.
Fully charged battery: 16 hours.
60-second wind: 30 minutes.
60-second wind: 2-3 minutes (varies depending on phone model, phone battery condition and signal strength).
FM: 88-108 MHz
AM: 500-1700 kHz
Impedance: 8 ohms
Output: 0.4 Watt (max)
AM: Built in ferrite bar
Thick walls with reinforcement for high structural and impact strength.
Rubber gasket seal for water resistance.
Rubberized panels for comfort and impact resistance.
ABS with non-gloss finish for lasting durability.
Ultra violet light (UV) stabilised for colour retention and stable mechanical properties.
Cadmium and chlorine-free.
Polycarbonate lens for optical clarity and impact resistance.
Recessed volume and tuning control knobs for impact protection.
Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS)
Compliant with the Restriction of Hazardous Substances directive, governing the use of:
- Lead (Pb)
- Cadmium (Cd)
- Mercury (Hg)
- Hexavalent Chromium (Cr6+)
- Polybrominated Biphenyls (PBB)
- Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDE)
Height: 60 mm (2.3")
Length: 125 mm (4.9")
Depth: 42 mm (1.6")
Weight: 200 g (0.4 lb)